Asst. Prof. Fabio Stroppa from the Computer Engineering Department of Kadir Has University, in collaboration with Ass. Prof. Eray A. Baran from the Mechatronics Engineering Department of Bilgi University is looking for graduate students to work for paid research scholars to work for 36 months within his TÜBİTAK 2232 research project “Computational Design, Manufacturing, and Applications of Soft Growing Robot Manipulators”.
The goal of this project is to implement a tool allowing non-engineer users to build and design their own soft devices by developing tools for designing and controlling soft manipulators.
The project has two main objectives: (1) the implementation of methods to identify the best design of soft growing robot to solve a pre-defined task, by means of artificial intelligence techniques; and (2) the manufacture of real soft growing robots based on the design retrieved by the optimization. This position is specific for objective (2).
Applicants must have:
- earned, or be about to earn, an MSc degree or equivalent in mechanical engineering, mechatronics engineering, electronics engineering, or another relevant discipline;
- an excellent academic record;
- a strong background in robotics, real-time coding, system modelling and simulation;
- excellent mathematical and coding skills (specifically in C/C++, MATLAB);
- excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
- enthusiasm for leading-edge research, a team spirit, and independent problem-solving skills;
- expertise on hands on system development or handcrafting is a plus for the applicant.
Tasks will include:
- in depth study of the soft robotics state-of-the-art,
- design and implementation of soft robotics devices,
- manufacturing of working prototypes,
- design of control systems,
- design and conduction of experiments,
- interpreting statistical data and creating tables and graphics,
- leading a group of undergraduate students,
- participating in periodic meeting (conducted in English),
- writing state-of-the-art research articles for peer-reviewed conferences and journals,
- participating in the qualitative analysis process and writing reports and deliverables.
The research will be conducted at Robotics and Intelligent Motion Control Laboratory, Bilgi University, Istanbul.
Shortlisted candidates will receive an email to set up an interview.